Monday, September 23, 2013

find suzanne / what to do with a weekend

(Just in case you weren't sure about where I actually am right now)

I am in Congo

But not the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo), that's our next door neighbor.

I am in the Republic of Congo, also called Congo-Brazzaville

Thought I'd post a map today just for fun:

 

 

See that river north of Pointe-Noire? Its the Kouilou, and it's about an hour and a half drive from the city, which is the location for my next topic:

what to do with a weekend:

When you have a long weekend, and you are in the Congo, and you haven't really left the ship in a lot of days...grab a backpack and a mosquito net and some friends and go on an adventure!

 

Camping day 1:

Grocery shopping

Visiting the village next to the river
Don't mess with Jess...sugar cane can be a weapon...

Kouilou River

Looking out to where the river emptied into the sea:
Talking with people from the village just north of the river and telling them about the ship
Through the jungle to find a new campsite...

 
There was lots of driftwood and bamboo, so Nick and Ryan built a huge fire:
 
Breakfast on Sunday!
 

The kids came and waved at us on our way back through the village the next day:

 

If you have a minute, go visit Catherine's blog and check out this post. It's pretty great :)

And I'll finish off with an encouraging psalm that a friend shared with me this week:


121 I lift up my eyes to the hills.

From where does my help come?

2 My help comes from the Lord,

who made heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot be moved;

he who keeps you will not slumber.

4 Behold, he who keeps Israel

will neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The Lord is your keeper;

the Lord is your shade on your right hand.

6 The sun shall not strike you by day,

nor the moon by night.

7 The Lord will keep you from all evil;

he will keep your life.

8 The Lord will keep

your going out and your coming in

from this time forth and forevermore


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment