Wednesday, September 4, 2013

bits of randomness and other news

Just a few iPhone photos of ship life for today....

In the crew galley- breakfast for dinner last Tuesday:

 

 

Random but funny: in an email from my mom last weekend, she sent me a conversation between my brother and dad. For anyone who does not know my family- I am the oldest of 5, and my youngest two brothers are ages 5 and 3.

Jonathan (age 5) to my dad: "Suzanne is coming home in like 7,000 days!!"

My dad: "that's more than 15 years"

Jonathan: "hmm, ok then Suzanne is coming home in 15 days!!"

My dad: "Suzanne will be here at Christmas"

Lots of extremes here- and yes I will be in Indiana for a visit in less than 7000 days but more than 15, so around christmas time. :)

 

Hospital evac drill- Deb is such a good patient that she even carries her own stretcher back up the gangway-

 

And on the way back on board everyone helps carry the produce to reception:

 

 

Dana Perino joined us on board for a week! She even did a Skype back to her Fox show The Five from midships. Since the call was live it was pretty late at night our time, but some of us watched anyway- pretty cool!

She blogged about her journey from her web page: danaperino.com

On Friday all of the hospital staff gathered in a chain reaching all the way around both long corridors that make up the AFM hospital. All together we prayed over the hospital and this outreach before we brought the first patients on board this weekend.

Mirjam and I went for a bike ride Sunday afternoon- it's so much easier to ride a bycicle in Pointe-Noire than in Conkary. Pointe-Noire has a population of 500-700,000 (I've heard several different numbers), but Conkary was somewhere around 1.7-2.5 million (again I've heard a lot of different numbers). Also traffic laws in general seem to carry more weight here in Pointe-Noire. I was mildly surprised the first time a car stopped for a pedestrian.



Meet my AFM family! We took this following a recent fire drill since we were already all on the dock. Here's how to find me: look on the left side of the photo, and find the girl in the bright pink hat, that's my friend Mette and I stood next to her on purpose. So, find the pink hat and I am there just behind her and to the right. :)

Have a great Wednesday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment