Tuesday, September 17, 2013

beaucoup de photos

Just wanted to share some of the photos I took for screening day- most of the photos I took are now part of private medical files, but I have permission to share some of the candid shots. I was also able to walk around and take some candid photos on my break- I mostly focused on fellow crew members.

We are very careful with taking photos: while recording our work and sharing patient stories is important, we never want the people we are serving to feel exploited by taking photos. They came to us for medical treatment. Anyway, cameras are banned from the screening day except for the communications team, so it was exciting and an honor for me to be allowed to use mine. On to the photos...

 

The room we used for pre-op photos:

Leigh and Sarah getting the white boards and paperwork ready before we take pictures
Ryan from the IS department and Jordan work on importing files
Michelle- really wonderful ship's photographer
Catherine- really wonderful ship's writer

Josh and Catherine getting ready to go take video footage of the line outside
And here's Mette who works with me on B ward

In the general surgery screening area:

Jen and Lord Ian
Agnes and Frida were helping in the women's health screening

Nick in the ortho screening:

Courtney and day crew members

Melinda and Martha

And some candid shots between medical photos with the patients:

This sweet girl is back and had her surgery, and I have been her nurse for a few shifts, she likes doing her arm extension exercises better if we incorporate the Macarena. Today we sat out on deck 7 together and worked on my French, she really makes me work for the correct pronunciation.

This sweet grandma laughed when I called her "mama" while I was taking photos. When we were in Guinea I got used to saying that to any elderly person, it is a way to show affection and respect even if you don't know them. Anyway, she laughed at me and when I told her she was my "Congo mama" she kissed me on top of the head. :)

And if you are wondering about what she has, it is a really large goiter.

She is a forest dweller, and for some perpective on her height here is a photo Deb took. I am kneeling on the floor and she is standing :)

I mentioned this cutie when I wrote about screening day a few posts ago:

And oh my here is this little guy who is so snuggly!

Ryan and Mahesh took a couple picturs of him and I, wow I love holding this baby :)

Ok that's it friends- just wanted to share the pictures, thanks for looking through all of them if you made it this far :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment