Thursday, October 4, 2012

Class time week 3: personal and interpersonal development

Weeks of class time are slipping by quickly here at the IOC. This week we talked a lot about different personality types, strengths, spiritual gifts, conflict resolution, and how all of these relate to ship life. The staff explained that relationship challenges aboard the ship are the same challenges we face anywhere, but under the pressure cooker of living, working, eating, and socializing together every day. It is a small town of about 400 people all living in one vessel.

One of our wonderful speakers from this week included lots of quotes in his powerpoints. He taught about finding our strengths and seeking to put them to use. Below are a few of my favorites:

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"

"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don’t much care where--" said Alice.

"Then it doesn’t matter which way you go," said the Cat.

 

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there."

 

Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1865)

 

"I want to be thoroughly used up when I die."

-George Bernard Shaw

 

I am only one,

But I still am one.

I cannot do everything,

But still I can do something.

And because I cannot do everything,

I will not refuse to do the something I can do.

-Edward Everett Hale, clergyman and author (1822-1909)

 

Myself and my roommates Romina and Erin!

Romina's lovely braid, and Krissy and I

My spot- my name is a smaller font size than everyone else's so that it fits on the card :)

We get pretty great snack breaks...thank you Nancy!

Nicole likes snack break too...

In the last week Nicole and I found out we like almost exactly the same types of music, down to the most random artists. Nicole also played a significant role in organizing the official "Family Dorm Dance Party" we had last Saturday. :)

A few of my notes from today's discussion on confrontation:

-Confront specific actions- not attitudes in general.

-Believe the best in one another.

-Carefully choose one confidant who can objectively be a sounding board.

-Realize that only rarely do we see the whole picture.


James 1:19

My dear brothers, take note of this:

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.




Using scripture to find guidelines for conduct, and Yfke making her tea...
And lastly here's me- really enjoying my coffee.
Oh, and this random photo of a lasso hanging on the mirror of a car in the parking lot. There was also a bridle on the rear view mirror inside. I am definately in Texas.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment