Tuesday, August 20, 2013

my new favorite tv ad

 

This advertisement was used in a recent community meeting here on the ship- and it put a huge smile on my face. Thought I'd share it here...

I enjoyed this so much, not because coke is the answer to all the world's problems...but because of the way it celebrates Africa.

In under two minutes it highlights the beauty of the warm culture and strong spirit found on this continent. I love celebrating the accomplishments, strengths and potential of this colorful land. It is my honor to partner with the people of West Africa. I hope this puts a smile on your face as well:

 

Also, I wanted to share a few songs with you...

Last week we had the first of 6 briefings on Congolese culture. We learned several greetings in Kituba, the language most commonly spoken in southern Congo. (To say "hi, how are you" in Kituba is "Mbote, wa faso?")

As I listened I realized that several of the words were familiar to me- they were used in some songs I had grown up listening to. Turns out that about 6 African songs I listened to for years are actually hymns in Kituba! Only God knew that I would be living and working in this part of the planet. When our new day crew/translators came on board the first day of work, I sat with one of them at lunch. I sang the words I knew, and he sang along with me- we knew the song exactly the same way. It was such a good reminder that God has been getting me ready to come here for a long time!

(On a side note I hope these YouTube videos are actually what the title says, the Internet here doesn't work well with youtube for me to preview them) :)

Here is the song we sang:

 

And here is one more wonderful song with some Kituba in it:

 

 

"Blessed is the life

Built upon Your word

Those who find their hope

Trusting what they've heard...


...Follow Jesus"

1 comment: