Thursday, October 17, 2013

Plastics friends

Plastic surgeries are wrapping up- and next week B Ward completely changes and becomes the orthopaedic ward.

 

What a journey the last 7 weeks have been! I wish I could introduce you to each of the people who have captured my heart during their stay here. So many stories- some patients stay for weeks at a time. They come here for surgery, but also become our friends.

 

Like this girlie and her sweet momma:

And this spunky teenager....she's off the ship at the hope center now and doing very well.

These two are also at the hope center now...

And then there's this kiddo- oh my did he steal my heart...

After a bad case of childhood measles he became deaf, and the severity of the illness left him vulnerable to noma. The noma ate away at his nose, but we were able to provide a plastic surgery for him. He amazes me in the way he is able to communicate without words. Also he loves playing the game "memory" where you turn cards over and match the pictures. He beats me evey single time.

He lives with his grandparents, I met both of them during his stay on board. His grandfather speaks English and told me "I waited in line with my grandson on the selection day. We waited so long, and then finally we saw the doctor. We were sitting with three other people, and the doctor said yes to my grandson and one of the others. On the yellow card was the date we should come to the ship. Every morning after that my grandson would come to me and point to his nose and ask if it is time to go to the hospital."

The day finally came, and the surgery went great!

Here he is with the first step of his reconstruction, a scalp flap that goes from above his ear to his nose. Once blood flow is established at the nose, then the flap is replaced and the reconstruction can be completed:

After about 3 weeks, it was time for the second step of the operation. All the other patients were eager to see his new nose too. I stopped by the ward to see him, and there was a whole group of other patients and caregivers gathered around him while he was still sleeping off his meds, all marveling at his finished new nose. He's at the hope center now as well.

 

And here are these two brothers, the older brother stays as the caregiver. Both of them have been practicing their English while on the ward, and they are getting really good. One day I gave a lesson in the use of the stethoscope and they insisted on photos so they could remember their day being the "doctor". When I handed each of them an alcohol swab to clean the earpieces before putting them in, they both laughed at me and said something about "white people". I asked the translator what they were talking about and he smiled and said "oh, well we have a saying that goes 'white is white'. They are laughing because you are so worried about making things very clean." I laughed and explained that sure, maybe "white is white", but a "hospital is a hospital". Use the alcohol swab. :)

Here's little Aicha and her Papa who absolutely adores her. I remember doing her pre-op photos on screening day- her burn scars covered her tourso and contracted both her arms and her hip, keeping her from standing up all the way. She's come such a long way from the tiny frightened-of-all-nurses 4 year old she was a month ago. She's a special little girl.

I'm going to miss these people!

 

Starting next week: time to make some Ortho friends!

Kids like these we met on screening day will be coming back for their surgeries:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment