Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas decorating!

Today I helped bring out the Christmas decorations from storage and set them up around the ship. It was announced at Monday morning meeting that decorating would happen Saturday afternoon, and they said we put up lots. They weren't kidding! There are wonderful Christmas decorations for every public area on the ship.

I put up lots of the Christmas decorations at home every year. I always look forward to decorating. Really, I look forward more to sitting in the living room with a cup of hot chocolate enjoying the Christmas tree and a quiet fire. But to get to that point all the decorations have to be dragged out of storage and the tree needs to be straightened and all the little bits of green need to be vacuumed off the floor when it's done. And once all the empty boxes are back in their places and it is dark outside, I can just sit and look at the tree glowing.

So, it seemed only right that I should participate in the decorating of the ship. I have been forgetting that December 25th is quickly approaching. But after assembling several small trees, untangling some lights and listening to one of the academy students practicing "Joy to the World" this afternoon, I am reminded that Christmas comes in Africa too. It's just sunnier.

Romina and I worked on the trees on top of the Cafe.

The finished work later this evening:

Even the gangway got some lights!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Just this morning I mentioned to Lou that we had not heard from you since you arrived in Conakry. I hope things are going well for you. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete