Saturday, July 20, 2013

back on home sweet AFM...




...after some travelling in Spain and a visit to the states, (photos and blog posts to come) I am back on home sweet AFM.  The Africa Mercy is currently in shipyard in the canaries getting some annual maintenance and some special work done (shiny new floors on the wards!).  I arrived back last saturday- after many hours of travel I crawled happily into my bunk and then slept for 18 hours.  Which, as it turns out, is not the best thing to do to beat jet lag. Next time I'll set an alarm.
 Anyway, I am back to work in my reassigned position in crew services.  With the hospital closed and packed securely away until Congo, my job mainly involves mopping deck 4.  I really like this reassignment for several reasons: 1- there is something immediately rewarding about making things clean. 2- I have the opportunity to work with crew members I would not normally work with 3- Listening to music while working!

The Africa Mercy in port in Las Palmas:



today was a quick 4 hour sail from Las Palmas to Tenerife, where we will be in port for about a week until we sail to Congo


(this is a screen shot of today's journey from marinetraffic.com)

and here are a few views of our new port:



and lastly I spent some time today looking at the shared files from the communications department, and here are a few great videos...

pack up of D ward!  we nurses spent the last week or two of the Guinea outreach packing and tying down and bleaching the hospital.  Here is the D ward pack up timelapse...


...20 minutes later- ok sorry no video, the internet is not working well enough to load it today, but maybe another day

but I grabbed some screen shots from this time lapse, we had a little fun with it since we knew the camera was there...




not sure about this last one, singing into syringes?
love the nurses I work with :)

No comments:

Post a Comment